My City of Galilee



In my city of Galilee
In my city of inadequacy
I’m not only troubled
But I’ve got questions
How will this be possible?
Am I supposed to feel this tension?
 
I ask God, “Can’t you just use me where I’m gifted?”
He replies, “I didn’t ask for a show of your competence,
I asked for a sacrifice of a humble spirit.”
 
You see, it’s evident
- at least to me
That is, my inadequacy
 
I give excuses and reasons to God
Why he can’t use me
I make the same point
Over and over
I only have inadequacy
 
When I open to Luke and
The story of a Jewish girl
Named Mary
I notice there’s one thing in common:
Inadequacy
 
And then more people flood my mind
David – a shepherd turned king: inadequate
Joseph – sold into slavery only to gain Pharoah’s loyalty: inadequate
Ruth – a Moabite: inadequate
Peter – the one who 3 times denied: inadequate
Paul – inadequate
Esther – inadequate
Moses – inadequate
Mary – inadequate
Me – inadequate
 
I look back at
The young Jewish girl
How she had every right in the world
To respond with doubt and fear
 
Yet – she didn’t look to an outcome
But looked upon the one
Who called her “favored one”
 
No, it couldn’t be done by man
But Mary knew
Along with David, Joseph, Peter, and Ruth
And now me too
There is a God who can.

Illustration by Grace Spivey

Comments

Popular Posts