Slow and Steadfast


Slow mornings, I have come to learn, are good for the heart and the mind.  My remaining iced coffee from earlier this morning is still on my side table; however, the ice has now melted.  No doubt, it is watered down past the point of no return.  My blinds are fully opened to let the natural light shine through, and my cat has stayed in the bed just as much as I have since we woke up.  My Enneagram 3-wing is cringing right now at the fact that I have stopped going non-stop for a short time.  On the other hand, my contradictory extreme introvert-ness is thriving.  (How I continue to exist as this paradox, I’m still unsure.)

I have always found so much tranquility and delight in unhurried mornings.  Growing up, slow mornings meant sleeping in until 10:00, eating cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and staying in my pajamas for as long as possible.  Unfortunately, now it is an awfully rare occasion if I can sleep in past just 9:00.  My cinnamon roll intake has drastically decreased over the years, although I do still enjoy them every now and then.  I think it is important to note, though, that I still stay in comfy clothes for as long as possible.  These slower mornings have been a consistent part of my life.  Through the years, however, they have come to look different.

Last year, while living with my friend Evalyn, we found so much joy in unrushed mornings.  Often times, one of us would make the coffee while the other lit candles.  One would open the blinds while the other would turn on background music.  It was a team effort that neither of us questioned, and I think it was because it was a type of consistency for us during that season of life.

These types of mornings are enjoyable because of all they entail, but I have come to realize there is more to them.  These mornings, through their consistency, bring a sense of refreshing and renewing.  They are a restart and reset in the midst of a busy life.  They are ever-present regardless of change…

…which sounds a lot like the steadfastness of God.  For the past few years, the Lord has often led me back to the idea of His steadfastness.  For a time, I underlined the word “steadfast” whenever I came across it in scripture.  At one point, I put together scrabble letters to spell out “steadfast” to place as a reminder for myself, which are in my current apartment now.  There’s a song by Sandra McCracken about this steadfastness I used to listen to on repeat.

This steadfastness of God brings about peace in my soul that I have yet to (and never will) find anywhere else.  God has proven to be consistent in His consistency, and I have learned to trust it instead of questioning it.  That’s not to say I don’t have doubts, because I can give lots of assurance that I do.  I can list fears and anxieties for every aspect of my life.  Nevertheless, God has given me constant reminders to instead think of, “…whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable…” (Philippians 4:8, ESV).  (I of course encourage reading the verses surrounding this one because it all connects and goes together.)

I’ll empty my leftover coffee after writing this, and the sun will continue to move so it can’t stay morning forever.  In a bit, Jemma will soon start running around the apartment per usual.  But, that’s the wonderful difference between this comparison of slow mornings and God’s steadfastness.  Slow mornings are consistencies that come and go.  The steadfastness of the Lord, however, never fades.

Comments

Popular Posts