The Joy of the Pen


Recently, I had a mentor challenge me to celebrate small joys.  Undoubtedly, there are many things I could have chosen.  Most would agree a cup of hot tea at night, the smell of a candle, or the warmth of the sun could all spark joy as small blessings from God.  Yet, as I was dwelling on all the possible little ways to see joy, I ended up in front of my old typewriter that sits upon a bookshelf by my desk.

Writing – it exhilarates me to no end.

However, during the past month, I tried and tried to write.  Many pieces started with good intentions never reached a finish.  Writing in my journal, though frequent, often consisted of short sentences with a lack of motivation to go beyond the little effort I could muster.  This is not to say I did not want to write; the yearning desire was there, as it always is.  Perhaps that was the hardest part: desperately needing an outlet for thoughts and emotions but having my dear outlet constantly fail.


But I still chose to write.  Even when nothing good seemed to flow from my brain to the ink on the page, I chose to write because of how much beauty and thrill I find in it.  When words just flow, keyboard clicks playing their own tune or ink pouring out of my fountain pen, it is not just therapeutic; it is truly a release for me.  True, there is small joy to be found in a morning coffee, in the way string lights twinkle at night, in opening a letter from a friend…..but above all else, writing prevails as both an adored outlet and source of bliss for me.


This leads me to dwelling on the fact that the act of writing brings me so much joy because of Who placed the passion for it in me.  I have used words to write my way out of grief, change, newness, confusion, and uncertainty.  However, each individual word written has not been a solution to difficulty with my own strength but has been a cry and plea to the Lord for His peace, comfort, assurance, and steadfastness.  How the Lord knew to bless me with such a love for simply stringing syllables together is beyond my understanding, but I am ever thankful for the goodness and clarity He continues to reveal through it.  From a young age, it has been the way He gently led my mind and heart to new realizations and devotions in relationship with Him.


For a long time now, I have been so fascinated with trying to capture joy with words.  Yet, in doing so, I believe I neglected the obvious notion that the words themselves are a source of that joy.  Perhaps I can not seem to explain joy in a deeper way with words because it is the writing of these words that the Lord uses to fuel so much joy in me for what He graciously teaches and reveals day by day.


I think back to the challenge my mentor gave me.  While I am truly thankful for a renewed and inspired desire to write (I originally wrote the majority of this piece, with a few changes, non-stop on pages in my journal…..a complete turnaround from a few sentences on single pages), I truly believe in the joy found in other types of the smallest of blessings the Lord provides for us.  What a God we serve!  He reveals Himself in grand ways, without a doubt, but perhaps the bigger miracle is how He reveals His greatness and glory through small joys He places throughout our days.

Photo by Jamie Baker

Comments

Popular Posts