Most Wanted


We talk about the book
But does anyone
Give one look
That I built my own
Swing in the end

From 1 to 44
Each page
Filled with experiences
Meanings, insecurities, emotions
Not just words, colors
Poems, and illustrations

Ivy means growth
The sweater is my writing
(I'm knitting it on page
40 with my pen)
Page 25 counts down
- 4, 3, 2, 1 -
Acuity for unity
...and that's only 3 things.

It just all feels so
loud at times
A voice that says,
"You're too much"
"Both you and your
emotions - too, too much."
So I put them in a book
Instead of saying them aloud
My brain is the cell
And I'm the crook
Feeling like I should hush
When all I hear in my head is,
"Too, too, too much."

But my friend Ev
Threw me a key
When she told me,
"We've all got some selfishness
But sometimes people think wrongly
Of our motives and passions."

And suddenly I'm free
From the insecurity
That criminalized me
Believing the lie: You're selfish for having feelings
Led me to an obsession
With people pleasing
And handcuffing
Anything I wanted to say
About me
If I shared my
Own fear or joy
It was a punch
To the gut
Reminding me,
"Too, too much."
(Is it being communicated clearly
How good I tried to be?)

But if being good
Means being emotionless
I'd rather have my name
On the Most Wanted List

For tearing up
When a kid picks me a flower
For wanting to share
Details of my book for hours
For the chills, the sound
A violin gives
For the excitement it is
Just to live

And even for the
Frustration
Confusion
Agitation
For simply wanting
Intentional, deeper questions
About the poetry I wrote with my pen

So back to the book - 
Go take a closer look.
It's what's most wanted
By a Most Wanted

Illustration by Grace Spivey

Comments

  1. Beautiful. I also think I say "too too much" and no one really cares. Thanks for putting it down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts